Do you have a multimeter in your toolbox? I had no idea I needed one until I started fixing things around the house. It was then that I learned that I should purchase a multimeter. No matter what you do, from mounting a new fan onto your ceiling, to any other kind of electrical task, you need to know if there is electricity on the wires.

If you don’t know such a thing, accidents can happen. It can be very dangerous to work with electrical fixtures and wires, as you can get electrocuted. A multimeter will provide you with essential information on the electric power flowing through the wires, expressed in volts, amps, and ohms.

It is not only you who is in danger of injury or worse. Anyone in the house who may touch the exposed electrical wires by accident will be exposed to the same risk. Also, electrical short-circuits can be responsible for fire hazards, and that means that a fire can break out without your knowledge.



Things you can do with a multimeter

Testing batteries – you can use your trusty multimeter to test battery life. Since you can troubleshoot any electrical device using one, you just need to see what the readings tell you when you check your batteries. You will notice that the reading lets you know the battery voltage; if that sits at less than 20%, the battery is depleted and you should replace it.

Testing broken cords – extension cord may bend, and break and exposed wires are a real hazard for one’s life. By checking the wires, you will know if the cable is still safe to use or not. If the reading on your multimeter is “0.00”, that means that you are dealing with a closed circuit. The “0.L” result indicates an open circuit.

Testing appliances around the home – the same readings as before apply. This is something you must do when you suspect your blender or any other device in your kitchen and home to be defective.


Safety above everything else

You should always take the necessary precautions when you’re testing electrical wires and devices. That includes as a basic rule to have the power disconnected. Keep in mind to handle the multimeter by its handles, which are insulated and will not allow electricity to be transferred to your body.

These are a few things you should know about owning a multimeter and how to use it. Household appliances can break down, and there are situations when you need to fix things that involve electrical power. To deal with them in perfect safety, this is the type of tool you should get for your home.






Last year or sometime in the past when I was delving into the wonders of the amazing and eternally surprising Internet, I found out that there now were worms that were capable of consuming plastic as fuel. Of course, one of the first questions that passed through my mind was what came out of these worms once their digestion process was wrapped up. I didn’t want to imagine them pooping plastic if you know what I mean.

The fact is that what they do create is entirely organic and can even be used as compost if that’s what you feel like doing. The experiment took place the University of Cambridge, where Federica Bertocchini, a biologist with the Institute of Biomedicine and Biotechnology of Cantabria, Spain, got together with two of her colleagues, Christopher Howe and Paolo Bombelli.


The test was rather simple. They would place this outstanding species with several styrofoam cups and bits of plastic in a container and wait for something to happen. Believe it or not, one hundred worms managed to eat about 92 milligrams of plastic in as little as twelve hours. I would call that revolutionary if it weren’t for the services of one hundred worms, which seems a bit too much. Besides, 92 milligrams of plastic is about the size of 4 rice grains, so it’s not really all that impressive. However, given the fact that there’s a high chance that we will end up buried in plastic in the future centuries, it’s still a breathtaking discovery. Who knows what other critters could be capable of doing the same?

It’s also worth noting that the scientists who have performed the experiment have yet to find out exactly how the magic happened. They don’t know whether the worms consumed the plastic just because they wanted to or had developed a certain taste for it beforehand or because there were bacteria in their gut to help them digest it. Some say that it might be both.

The wonderful thing about all of this is that Bertocchini is a beekeeping enthusiast and it ever so happened that she came across several worms that ate the wax produced by the bees. Because she had little to no knowledge about the species or the reason she had found the worms consuming the wax, she kept them in a plastic bag until further notice. That’s how she discovered that the plastic bag also became food for the worms. If that’s not spectacular, I really don’t know what is.

There’s talk of an enzyme or a molecule that might be responsible for the reaction. If that’s the case, maybe scientists could transfer it to other worm species that could finally help us reduce plastic.